Top 10 things to do on Waiheke with kids
- Take them Zip lining with EcoZip Adventures! It’s fun and educational. Located at the top of Trig Hill - one of the island's high points with stunning 360 degree vistas of Waiheke, the Hauraki Gulf and out towards Auckland City. Here you will be geared up and guided down a series of 3 dual-line ziplines each span being 200m in length which end up deep in a pristine tract of beautiful New Zealand native bush. After the Zipline, you will then be guided back to base through the forest (approximately 1.3km in length), learning about local flora and fauna and conservation. You can add EcoZip to one of our private tour options.
- Spend an Afternoon at Wild Estate. Here there are several free activites for young children, including a trampoline, playground and giant chess set as well as paid activities for older kids, including archery and laster claybird shooting. They also have beautiful outdoor areas and beanbags. The kids can have fun and you can sit back with a glass of chilled Waiheke rose, or Island IPA
- Head to the Beach. Waiheke has many beautiful beaches with the popular ones being located on the Northern side of the Island. Little Oneroa, Palm Beach and Onetangi are all white sand beaches that have playgrounds, toilets and free to use gas BBQs! Please note that there are no life guards at any Waiheke’s beaches so be swim safe.
- Explore Whakanewha Regional Park on the southern coast of Waiheke Island. It offers sheltered swimming on a long, sweeping beach with a bush clad backdrop. You can also enjoy camping and picnic sites on the foreshore. If you are feeling adventurous, walk the Cascade Walk which is approximately 1.5 hours (2.5km) through beautiful New Zealand bush and discover the Cascades Stream with beautiful small waterfalls.
- Feed the eels and explore the rockpools at Kuakarau Bay (Located on McMillan Rd ) with a stunning sculpture, a beautiful stream and a lovely open field with playground and toilets. Plenty to explore here along the beach. There is a coastal track at the far end of the beach – go for a wander if you’re keen to explore a bit more. One the way there you can also stop off at the entrance to the Waiheke Sports Park and feed the Roosters.
- Show the kids a slice of old Waiheke at The Waiheke Museum - The Museum has a 1930s-style island cottage, Three small bach-style houses, Maori artifacts, a wool press, a whale-oil cauldron, a player piano, and even a fine old long-drop toilet! The Museum is located at 165 Onetangi Straight (conveniently opposite some of the Island’s top vineyards for afterwards…) and is open from 11 AM to 3 PM on Wednesdays, Saturdays, Sundays, and public holiday Mondays, all year round (except Christmas Day and New Year’s Day). Entry is by donation
- Get cultured with the biannual Sculpture on the Gulf event. The next one will be taking place 4 – 20 March 2022. Set amongst some of the most magnificent coastal landscape in the world, the undulating walkway, which snakes its way around the headland from above Matiatia towards Church Bay. Every event features new and exciting pieces of art from artists around New Zealand. Some are interactive, some capture and enhance the stunning surroundings and some are there to make you think.
- Get underground and historical with a visit to Fort Stonybatter located at the Eastern End of Waiheke Island. Commissioned in 1942 under absolute secrecy, the complex comprises 1.2km’s of subterranean passages, chambers and stairwells all tunnelled by hand. The fortress was designed to take direct enemy bombardment and is in a very high state of preservation. Adult $25 / Youth 12-16yrs $15, Child $10 - Under 5yrs Free with Adult
- Join a Horse trek with Waiheke Equestrian or Waiheke Horse Tours - suitable for 10 years and up, it’s a great way to explore off the beaten track areas of Waiheke with stunning scenery.
- Take to the sky’s and see Waiheke from the air with Waiheke Wings. They offer a 30 min Waiheke Buzz Scenic flight. They take off from Waiheke Aerodrome and the flightpath allows you to see some of the most popular locations of Waiheke from a bird’s eye view. They often offer family packages and deals on their website
10/10 Jenny did a fantastic job and such an incredible host. Accommodating, caring and local- would recommend
I just wanted to let you know how much our small group of clients absolutely loved the High Tea Tour you created and provided for them – infact, they said it was the best tour they had been on throughout their touring of NZ and Australia! For one guest, this was her first High Tea...
Kathryn Stothers-Taylor - Southern World New Zealand
On behalf of VinLink, Links, and Gisvin, I would like to thank- you personally, the bus drivers, and Ananda Tours for a wonderful and organised weekend. We had an amazing time, and everything I asked for was achieved. Many thanks for your patience and understanding when cancellations came...